Featured Local Art Gallery
Wiford Gallery is a destination for fine art in Santa Fe, New Mexico. Surrounded by a spacious outdoor sculpture garden and nestled just off Canyon Road, we represent artists of the highest caliber, whose dedication and talent is clearly displayed in their work.
Welcome to Loretto's Santa Fe Blog
Welcome to our Santa Fe Blog. We've created a place for our guests to share their favorite Santa Fe and Inn and Spa at Loretto memories. In addition, they can catch up on Santa Fe events, enjoy restaurant recipes from The Living Room and Luminaria Restaurant, read about spa innovations, and much more.
Read, post, share, and become a part of the Loretto community.
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
Discover our new curator program, designed to offer visitors the chance to experience Santa Fe through the eyes and spirit of our locals!
The Inn and Spa at Loretto is excited to announce the Loretto Curators Program, offering guests insider tips to getting the most out of their time in Santa Fe. By sharing what inspires and excites them about the City Different on the Loretto website, blog and during events in the hotel’s lobby, the Loretto Curators will help visitors uncover the best destinations for art, food, culture and adventure. The Curators will also give guests their lists of favorite places to go and things to see, allowing guests to experience Santa Fe through the eyes of locals
A city steeped in history, art and natural beauty, travelers from all over the world seek out Santa Fe for its vibrant blue skies and rich cultural offerings. The Inn and Spa at Loretto chose notable locals to comprise the group of curators to help vistors connect with the city’s cherished local traditions and wide variety of attractions.
The initial four Loretto Curators will include:
- Georges and Sue Mally: Avid outdoor enthusiasts and owners of Santa Fe Walkabouts. http://www.santafewalkabouts.com/
- Chef Johnny Vee: Head Chef and founder of Las Cosas Cooking School, cook book author, food critic and writer. http://chefjohnnyvee.com/home/
- Susan Topp Weber: Owner of Susan’s Christmas Shop and noted author. http://www.susanschristmasshop.com/
- Karla Winterowd: Owner of Winterowd Fine Art on Canyon Road, and board member and treasurer of the Santa Fe Gallery Association. http://www.fineartsantafe.com/index.php
“Finding your way through a new city is half the journey,” said Dana Ortega, Marketing Director at The Inn and Spa at Loretto. “We are excited to help our guest navigate the City Different to discover the cultural treasure trove that is Santa Fe. We hope guests are inspired to create their own personal adventure and memories to last a lifetime.”
Keep an eye out for these upcoming curator events and activities:
- Pysanka - Ukrainian Egg Decorating Demonstration: Saturday March 8, 2014 from 1-4pm–hosted by curator Susan Topp Weber. FREE and open to the public.
- Spring Gallery Hopping Blog Post (coming in March 2014)–provided by curator Karla Winterowd
- YOLO (You Only Live Once) Vacation Package (coming in March 2014) includes exclusive, all-access activities with our curators
Posted by Sarah Sims
The very first time that I performed the Native Reflections Ritual, a signature Santa Fe spa treatment, I finally understood the essence of what truly makes the Spa at Loretto stand out in a town overflowing with healing centers, spas, and talented body workers. At the time I had already enjoyed working at Loretto as a massage therapist for nearly two years, but had only recently been trained in the Sacred Stone massage modality. While preparing for the couple's ritual that day, Caroline, a more seasoned co-worker and kind mentor, agreed to take the lead during the prayer/blessing so that I could take witness and get a feel for how this ritual is performed.
We led the couple, adorned in matching cozy bathrobes and slippers, into a candlelit treatment room with an oversized bathtub already filled with steaming water, rose petals sprinkled around the room, bath mats and towels. We confirmed with our guests which unique, house-crafted, aromatherapy blend would be added to their bath and bodywork. Then, the magical part that I'd never experienced began.
Caroline instructed the couple to face to each cardinal direction while she read a Native American inspired prayer/blessing for each. I closed my eyes and turned with them, taking in the blessings one by one. The couple, celebrating their anniversary that day, held hands and gazed into each other’s eyes the entire time. The words of the blessing mesmerized me, and put us all into a deeply intentional place. We then sprinkled bath salts, aromatherapy oil, and petals into the tub and stepped into the hallway, allowing our guests time to soak together and deeply relax. As we sat outside sipping water and taking slow breaths to prepare ourselves as therapists, I couldn't help but smile as I imagined what this couple would be taking away from tonight. They hadn't just come into “any spa” and gotten a "fluff and buff" massage for their anniversary. They had truly entered a ceremonial space, and we had held that space for them with the utmost respect. This is what I love most about working at the Spa at Loretto. This is what makes us legendary.
Click here to learn more about the Native Reflections Ritual Treatment and make your appointment.
Posted by Lara Bache, Massage Therapist
The Inn and Spa at Loretto is proud to support the important work of Silver Bullet Productions, a local non-profit organization that works to encourage educational achievement of New Mexico’s Native American youth through a hands-on approach to film making projects that empower students, enhance academic and economic opportunities, and preserve community culture and heritage. Throughout the year we will provide our guests with access to Silver Bullet projects that enrich your cultural experience, provide a deeper understanding of New Mexico’s tribal communities, and inspire a lasting connection with the history and Native heritage of New Mexico.
Photo: Silver Bullet Productions Student Workshop
Photo: Silver Bullet Productions Youth Drop Out Prevention Workshop
Introducing “Canes of Power” A film by Silver Bullet Productions
In 2013, The Rocky Mountain Chapter of the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences awarded Silver Bullet Productions an Emmy® in four categories in cultural documentary for “Canes of Power,” a film that commemorates President Abraham Lincoln’s historic gift of engraved Canes to each of the New Mexico’s 19 Pueblo nations, forever symbolizing the recognition of their tribal sovereignty.
“Canes of Power” is an eye opener…a moving portrait of a people and their remarkable homelands. A must see for anyone seeking to learn how we all should deal with the planet we live on if we wish to salvage a positive future”.
- John Nichols, author of The Milagro Beanfield War
2014 marks the 150th anniversary of the presentation of the Canes to New Mexico’s Pueblos at Santo Domingo in 1864.
The treaties of the 1860’s may be long forgotten, but the individual Canes presented to the 19 Pueblos by President Abraham Lincoln in 1863 remain. Each is revered by the Pueblo People as a symbol of the promise of continued sovereignty; each Cane remains a living reminder of Pueblo authority.
This documentary film is a profound glimpse into the connection between American history and the culture of the Pueblo people, and into the sustaining message of the authority of the Canes of Power. The film looks at the complexity of an American leader grappling with the issues of the sovereignty of the Southern states, harsh Indian policies toward the hundreds of other tribes, and the paradox of his protection of only these 19 New Mexican tribes. Concurrent with the Long Walk of the Navajo and Apache and the Gettysburg Address, President Lincoln bestows the unique silver tipped Canes and recognizes the sovereignty of – and only of – New Mexico’s Pueblos. “Canes of Power” answers the question, “Why?”.
If you would like to find out more about “Canes of Power” please visit http://silverbulletproductions.com/.
To purchase a copy the Emmy® Award Winning film please contact Pam Pierce at email@example.com or 505-820-0552.
Posted by Sarah Sims
According to a recent article by Huffington Post 2014 weddings will be all about romance, showcasing everything from vintage inspired affairs reminiscent of the Great Gatsby, to seasonal farm to table flavors presented with casual elegance. But it’s not just the floral and flavors that create a memorable experience – the backdrop against which you say “I Do” is just as important as your something blue. To make sure your special day lives up to the romantic hype, host it in destination as breathtaking as your love.
(Photo Credit: Twin Lense Photography)
Located in downtown Santa Fe, adjacent to the famed Loretto Chapel, the Inn and Spa at Loretto has a history of inspiring passion. Voted as the “The Official Best Wedding Venue in New Mexico” by Travel Network, the Inn provides the location, amenities, and experience to make your day truly memorable. Offering idyllic indoor and outdoor wedding spaces, plus Santa Fe’s only Penthouse, you can welcome your guests in our grand ballroom or toast to your love against a warm sunset on one of our intimate terraces.
(Photo Credit: Ginger Russell Photography)
With Santa Fe’s pristine summer and fall months just around the corner, now is the time to start planning. Click here to contact our team of wedding professionals today to check available dates and schedule a tour.
Read the full Huffington Post article “The 14 Wedding Trends of 2014”
Posted by Sarah Sims
Now that we’ve made it through the holidays it’s time to really get the party started. The Inn and Spa at Loretto has your social calendar covered with a round-up of events sure to tantalized your taste buds and ignite your creative spirit. Winter is a great time to visit Santa Fe, and with 300 days of sun and moderate temperatures you’ll love getting out for these exciting events!
- Wine Down Wednesdays in The Living Room: Join us every Wednesday from 5:30pm-close to discover vino varietals from around the world. Enjoy $12 tasting flights, and a paired appetizer inspired by the featured wines. Plus, guests can brush up on their wine knowledge with a tableside mini wine 101.
- “Renaissance to Goya: Paintings and Drawings from Spain” at the New Mexico Museum of Art: This exhibition brings together for the first time prints and drawings by Spanish and other European artists working in Spain from the mid-16th to the early 19th century. It provides a compelling overview of more than 200 years of artistic production, including many works which have never before been on display. The New Mexico Museum of Art is the only American venue to host this amazing exhibit. Open now through March 9, 2014.
- Beats on the Basin at Ski Santa Fe: This annual line-up of local musicians and DJ’s is designed to keep the energy up while you spend the day shredding on the slopes. Catch five concerts this season running January 11 – March 15, 2014
- Souper Bowl XX: Join Luminaria’s Executive Chef, Brett Sparman, as he battles it out with Santa Fe’s top culinary masters for the coveted title of “Best Soup.” Proceeds from this event benefit the Food Depot, Northern New Mexico’s Food Bank. February 1, 2014 at the Santa Fe Community Convention Center.
- ARTFeast: A weekend of fine art, food, wine and fashion! Chef Brett Sparman will be serving up delectable treats at the Wiford Gallery during the annual ARTfeast Edible Art Tour on February 21, 2014. Then head to Luminaria Restaurant and Patio for ARTfeast’s Artist Brunch on February 23, 2014.
- Restaurant Week: Feast on Santa Fe’s finest during this annual culinary extravaganza! Enjoy special prixe fix menus at participating restaurants throughout town, including Luminiaria Restaurant and Patio. Mark your calendars; Santa Fe is dishing up this week long event February 23- March 2, 2013.
Ready for your Santa Fe Getaway? Check out our Buenos Dias package which includes accommodations of your choice, plus a $40 per day breakfast credit to nourish you for a full day of exploring Santa Fe. Click here to book.
Posted by Sarah Sims