Passionate art lovers enjoy visiting Winterowd Fine Art, a premier contemporary gallery on Canyon Road.
Welcome to Loretto's Santa Fe Blog
Welcome to our Santa Fe Blog. We've created a place for our guests to share their favorite Santa Fe and Inn and Spa at Loretto memories. In addition, they can catch up on Santa Fe events, enjoy restaurant recipes from The Living Room and Luminaria Restaurant, read about spa innovations, and much more.
Read, post, share, and become a part of the Loretto community.
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
When choosing a location for your destination wedding it’s important to choose a place as memorable as your love – and Santa Fe is just that. A city steeped in culture and history, “The City Different” as many call it, definitely stands test of time. As America’s Oldest Capital City, Santa Fe’s mingling of cultures bring Old World Spain, Native American, Mexican and Modern Anglo traditions to the forefront of your experience. Stroll adobe lined streets boasting 400 year old homes that house modern art galleries and restaurants. Take a tour of the city’s historic churches and missions, including the famed Loretto Chapel inspired by the Sainte Chapelle in Paris, France and the San Miguel Mission, famous for being the oldest church in the country. Taste your way across the globe on a foodie adventure of Santa Fe’s some 300+ chef run restaurants, offering everything from traditional New Mexican cuisine to French, Moroccan and traditional Spanish tapas. And, toast to your love at one of the city’s many wineries, distilleries and breweries.
If all this sounds enticing, just wait for the actual wedding. Below are our top five reasons to say “I do” in Santa Fe, New Mexico!
Old-World Charm Meets World-Class Splendor
The mingling of cultures and diverse history of Santa Fe combine to create an understated elegance where old-world charm truly meets world-class splendor. From the food, music, décor and people – Santa Fe is sure to infuse a bit of southwest charm on your special occasion. At the Inn and Spa at Loretto this is evidenced in the design of our exterior and interior spaces. Inside you’ll be delighted by the carpets and accent pillows inspired by Navajo Trader blankets, the hand plastered adobe walls, and the traditional wooden vigas. Outdoors you’ll find that the vibrant blue skies, pueblo style architecture and Sangre de Cristo Mountains make the perfect backdrop for your special day.
photo: Zuni Ballroom, Inn and Spa at Loretto
The Art of Weddings
Santa Fe is known as one of the top art destinations in the country, and weddings are no exception. Some of the world's most talented chefs (including the Inn and Spa at Loretto's award-wining Chef Marc Quiñones), musicians, photographers, bakers, floral designers and event planners call Santa Fe home. Brides will be thrilled by the abundance of resources available for their special day. And, if you truly want to create an art-full affair, opt to hold your ceremony or reception in the Inn and Spa at Loretto’s outdoor sculpture garden, featuring original works of art by local and national artists.
photo by Blue Rose Photography
A Spiritual Destination
The city of “La Villa Real de la Santa Fé de San Francisco de Asís” is spiritual in name and heritage. A servant to its ancestry and traditions, Santa Fe is steeped in culture, a deep sense of well-being and a need to preserve its legacy. One such legacy is that of the famed Loretto Chapel, featuring the legendary miraculous staircase. The staircase built around 1878, has two 360 degree turns and no visible means of support. It is also said that the staircase was built without nails, using only wooden pegs. To this day the identity of the man responsible for building this miraculous work of art is still unknown. Opt to hold your ceremony at the historic Loretto Chapel and be among the limited number of people invited to actually stand on the miraculous staircase for a photo. The Inn and Spa at Loretto’s premier location adjacent to the Loretto Chapel makes for an easy transition from ceremony to reception.
photo: Loretto Chaple and adjacent Inn and Spa at Loretto
Vibrant blue skies, four gentle seasons, 300 days of annual sunshine, and mild year-round temperatures make any season the perfect time to say “I do” in Santa Fe.
photo: Entrance, the Inn and Spa at Loretto
Spa, Spa and Spa
No wedding is complete without a little, or a lot, of pre and post day pampering. The art of healing takes form in Santa Fe’s world-renowned day spas. For pre-wedding pampering brides can host their bridal party for spa day while they are treated like royalty by some of Santa Fe's best therapists and healers. The Spa at Loretto offers the signature Javanese LuLur Royal Ritual originating from the Central Palaces of Java. This royal treatment includes a full day of rejuvenation to ensure you look your best before walking down the aisle to the backdrop of authentic Santa Fe.
photo: The Spa at Loretto
Click here to learn about our new "Elopement Package" perfect for celebrations of two to twelve.
Posted by Sarah Sims
by Karla Winterowd, Loretto Art Curator and owner of Winterowd Fine Art.
Exciting art events this spring in Santa Fe are abundant. From ART MATTERS to the stunning new photo exhibit at the iconic Georgia O'Keeffe museum, you are sure to find the perfect event to suit your palette. Plan your trip around these fun activities that will get your creative juices flowing.
Santa Fe Gallery Association hosts two art interactive happenings this spring: ART MATTERS | Sustenance - March 13-22 features in-gallery dining with artists. Nourish your body, mind and soul at this event. In April you will find an emphasis on critical discussions and connoisseurship titled ART MATTERS | Curated. Exhibitions and dialogue around ever changing themes will be hosted in many of our Santa Fe’s finest art galleries. Please see all the gallery events related to ART MATTERS at www.artmattersantafe.org.
2000 Photos of the most iconic artist of the Southwest (Georgia O’Keeffe) will be featured at the Georgia O’Keeffe Museum beginning March 27th through September 26th. Photographers loved to capture images of Ms. O’Keeffe. Now is your chance to see many famous photos along with rarely seen images of the artist. O’Keeffe Home and Studio tours begin in March as well. Schedule early to walk through her historical homestead and learn what inspired Ms. O’Keeffe to create amazing works of art.
SITE Santa Fe is celebrating their 20th Anniversary by featuring a selection of cutting edge art by innovative artists in their exhibition titled 20 Years/20 Shows. All year long the display will rotate with new artists. The first exhibition opens March 14 and is up through May 31. This is a perfect time to learn why SITE Santa Fe is such an important museum and an international art destination.
New Mexico Museum of Art features an engaging contemporary art exhibition titled Art on the Edge 2015. This is a great opportunity to discover new and immerging New Mexicoartists. Opens April 17th and runs through August 16th.
Stay tuned for happenings this summer! Summer of Color is a city wide art event. www.summerofcolor.org View special art exhibits, participate in programs, hands on art making experiences and lectures at our local museums and galleries. It’s an exciting time to visit Santa Fe. Experience why Santa Fe is an arts mecca of distinction.
Posted by Sarah Sims
This year opt for a spring break in Santa Fe and discover the place where old-world charm meets world-class splendor. You’ll be so enchanted by the myriad of offerings that you’ll wonder why you ever considered vacationing anywhere else. To help kick start your holiday we’ve compiled a list of activities for creating an unforgettable spring break in Santa Fe. Enjoy!
Unleash your inner creative
Held every March, DIY Santa Fe is a month-long celebration of the great arts traditions of Santa Fe. This showcase of the Santa Fe community’s creative workshops and events, is a great opportunity for visitors to spend their vacation learning from some of the nation’s finest, most experienced artists and artisans, all while enjoying the bounty of Santa Fe’s world-class restaurants and accommodations.
TIP: Be sure to stop by the Loretto Studio to meet the daily Artist in Residence – offering a chance to see art in action, witness something new and connect with the “Art and Soul of Santa Fe™” – their stunning work is also for sale so you can take a piece of Santa Fe home with you. Featured below is jeweler, Ben Hoffacker.
Pack your gear
No Santa Fe vacation is complete without a day in the great outdoors! Grab your mountain bike or hiking boots and head to the Galisteo Basin Preserve for a day filled with warm sunshine and majestic mountain views. The basin is located just twenty minutes south of Santa Fe near the community of Eldorado and is a great spot for winter and spring hiking and biking. With 50 miles of intertwining trails ranging from novice to difficult the possibilities for fun are endless. Be sure to pack layers, plenty of water and lunch for the excursion.
Photo credit: http://www.galisteobasinpreserve.com/
Hit the slopes
Spring skiing is Santa Fe is unparalleled. With 77 awesome trails, Ski Santa Fe is just 40 minutes from the Inn, and provides skiers and snowboarders with incredible conditions, virtually no lines, stunning views and plenty of southwest sunshine. Head up on March 7 and 21st for “Beats on the Basin” and enjoy live music while you hit the slopes. And don’t miss the annual Gladfelter Memorial Bump Run Contest on March 28th.
TIP: Check out our “Sleep & Slope” all-inclusive ski package for great rates on accommodations, rentals and lift tickets. Post ski, flash your lift ticket or season pass for 20% off dining and spa services at the Inn.
Liven it up with signature libations
Take in the town after dark and discover a lively offering of local bars and clubs, each featuring their own unique mix of Santa Fe. Start (or end) the night in the Living Room at Loretto. Our master mixologists have created an impressive array of custom-crafted cocktails made using local ingredients. A local favorite is the spicy Serrano Margarita. On tap you’ll find local micro-brews including specialty beers like Monk’s Ale – made by the monks of the Monastery of Christ in the Dessert in Northern New Mexico. Nosh on delectable light fare and tap your feet to the sweet melodies of Matthew Andrae who plays from 8-11pm every Friday and Saturday.
TIP: Hit up the Living Room for two daily happy hours and enjoy $4 draft beers, and $5 house wine, house margaritas, well drinks and select appetizers.
Photo credit: Julien McRoberts Photography ©
Make some time for a little R&R
Don’t forget to pamper yourself – after all this is spring “break.” Set aside some you time and book a treatment at the award-winning Spa at Loretto. Known for signature treatments that nourish the mind, body and soul, the Spa’s expert therapists are among the best in town. Opt for the Sacred Stone Massage for a truly unique Santa Fe experience, or the OxyGeneo™ facial for results that last weeks beyond your vacation. Hint, the Spa at Loretto is one of only two spas in the country to offer this innovative facial treatment so you’ll have plenty of bragging rights once you return home. Traveling on a girlfriend’s getaway? Opt for a side by side manicure and pedicure in the Spa’s NASA designed zero gravity chairs – the experience is truly out of this world!
Brunch makes it all better
Round out your Santa Fe spring break with a leisurely brunch at Luminaria Restaurant. Offering cozy fireside dining, plenty of natural lighting, and stunning views of the adjacent Loretto Chapel, this is one Santa Fe dining experience not to be missed. Be sure to order the blue corn pancakes either as your main course or as an accompaniment – we promise, you’ll be happy you did. Other favorites include the Huevos Rancheros – a local brunch tradition – and Pan seared salmon. Sip on Mimosas and custom crafted Bloody Marys as you dine to the sound of the iconic St Francis Cathedral bells ringing in the distance.
TIP: Book the Buenos Dias package and receive a $40 breakfast credit, plus nightly valet parking.
Check our calendar to discover more local events and things to do in Santa Fe.
Ready to plan your escape? Click here for great March rates and dates at the Inn and Spa at Loretto.
Posted by Sarah Sims
Experience Santa Fe with the one you love. Enjoy the Historic Santa Fe Plaza, a hot air balloon ride, or the musical stylings of the Inn and Spa at Loretto’s favorite musician, Matthew Andrae. Whatever you decide to do, Santa Fe is the perfect place for a romantic getaway!
- Visit the historic Santa Fe Plaza and purchase authentic Native American jewelry from the Palace of the Governors vendors
- Explore over 200 art galleries along Canyon Road
- Hop aboard the historic Santa Fe Southern for a dinner train ride to Lamy
- Witness the Miraculous Staircase at the famous Loretto Chapel
- Take a day trip to the historic Santuario de Chimayo to experience its renowned healing powers
- Dine fireside or under the stars at Luminaria Restaurant and Patio
- Head to the Aspen Vista Trail for a day hike with spectacular 360 views
- Get your hands dirty and work up an appetite during a hands-on cooking class at Las Cosas Cooking School, then shop for gourmet items to take back to your kitchen in the Las Cosas Shoppe
- Tailgate at the Santa Fe Opera then take in an awe-inspiring performance in the open air theater
- Enjoy an intimate concert at the historic Lensic Performing Arts Center
- Go behind the scenes at the Georgia O’Keeffe Museum
- Visit Ghost Ranch, Georgia O’Keeffe’s home and studio in Abiquiu, New Mexico
- Tap your feet and get dancing at El Farol, the city’s oldest restaurant and bar
- Shop for one of a kind treasures as you stroll Santa Fe many locally owned boutiques and shops
- Take a Chocolate Tour along the Santa Fe Chocolate Trail – yes there’s an actual trail!
- Check in to the Santa Fe’s only Penthouse suite at the Inn and Spa at Loretto
- Be totally enchanted by one of Santa Fe’s remarkable sunsets
- Enjoy a Nightcap in the Living Room Lounge as you cozy up next to a roaring fireplace
- Examine 400 year old buildings and historic churches on a walking tour of Santa Fe
- Stroll for fresh, local fruits and veggies, as well as artisan goods at the Santa Fe Farmer’s Market
- Get totally relaxed and reconnected with a Corazones en Fuegos couple’s massage at The Spa at Loretto
- Trek to the Turquoise Mines in the Cerrillos Hills
- Cruise around the plaza in a Pedi cab
- Take a Flamenco or Salsa dancing lesson with Juan Siddi
- Go Horseback Riding in the foothills of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains
- Hike to the top of the Cross of Martyrs historic monument for a 360 degree view of the city
- Hold on to each other tight as you get a fright during a ghost tour of Santa Fe’s most haunted places
- Head out on a summer garden and home tour
- Share an ice cream cone (or Frito Pie) on the Plaza
- Tour the Randall Davey House and Audubon Center
- Embark on a leaf Self-guided leaf peeping tour/hike in the Fall
- Stargaze along one of the desert trails of the Galiesto Basin
- Take a night stroll during a Friday or Saturday night gallery crawl
- Attend a play at the historic El Museo, Santa Fe Playhouse, or the Armory of the Arts
- Soak in the world-renowned hot springs in the Jemez Mountains
- Share in the holiday magic as you stroll Canyon Road during the annual Christmas Even Farolito walk
- Hike to the top of Baldy for the most stunning views of the city and Lake Katherine
- Head out on a wine tour of the many nearby New Mexico wineries
- Get your stomp on during the annual Estrella del Norte Winery harvest
- Listen to Matthew Andrae strum sweet melodies on Friday and Saturday nights in the Living Room Lounge
- Sleep in, then order blue corn pancakes for an authentic New Mexico breakfast in bed
- Wake up early to enjoy the crisp morning air and a spectacular Santa Fe sunrise
- Take a hot air balloon ride through the Rio Grande Gorge
- Pack a picnic and head to the St. John’s summer music on the hill series
- Cultivate your inner creative at a workshop during Santa Fe’s annual DIY Event in March
- Spend the day exploring four world-renowned museums at Museum Hill
- Grab your camera (or smartphone), a map, and an adventurous spirit and head out on a photo safari – we recommend the high road to Taos as a great day trip
- Study 400 years of fascinating history at the New Mexico History Museum
- Take a restaurant walking tour with Santa Fe School of Cooking of New Mexico Food Tours
- Tour one of the nearby historic Pueblo’s to learn about New Mexico’s Native American Heritage
Please feel free to visit the concierge for more information and/or questions about any of the activities listed on the Inn and Spa at Loretto’s checklist of Fifty Romantic Things to Do and See in Santa Fe.
Ready for your romantic escape? Book our 50 Shades of Santa Fe package and enjoy intimate accommodations at the iconic Inn and Spa at Loretto, a sample of our "hearts on fire" aroma therapy message oil, and a $50 resort credit to use to your heart's desire. Learn more and search dates here.
Posted by Sarah Sims